Friday, June 9, 2017

When Faith it Till You Make it Seems Like Total BS!

But what is there if there's no hope..?




A few days ago I got a call from a friend and as soon as I answered she said, "Khara I'm tired. Tirrrreeeeddd!" She sighed deeply. "Why does it seem like I can never get ahead? How many more losses and heartache do I need? My kids are driving me crazy. I have a decent job but I swear I can't figure out sometimes why my account seems to constantly be in the negative. Bills after bills. Girl I'm tired!!!!! What's the point of all this?" I continued to listen to her not saying anything, because sometimes that's just what we need, someone to listen to us. "I trust God, I have faith in Him, in his promises for my life... but this!!! Ugh!" She continued. The story of Joseph came to mind and I recounted it to her. Starting in Genesis 39, Joseph is demoted from a servant to a prisoner after being falsely accused of coming on to Potiphar's wife. Before all this his brother's sold him into slavery because of their jealously. Joseph was a man of great faith. Despite all he endured he trusted that his God - Jehovah was always with him. Even as a prisoner Joseph had favor. He was given the opportunity to serve two new prisoners, Pharaoh's cupbearer and baker. Through them two years later he eventually was brought before Pharaoh himself to interpret his dreams. Which lead to Joseph becoming the second in command.

"So Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one as discerning and wise as you are. You will be over my house, and all my people will obey your commands. Only I, as king, will be greater than you.” Pharaoh also said to Joseph, “See, I am placing you over all the land of Egypt.” Genesis 41:39-41

How could a slave eventually become second in command of Egypt? Nothing but the faithful God Joseph served. And I recounted this story to my friend as a reminder not only to her, but myself that - we must keep the faith and not give up hope. We must live each day, each moment aware of God's presence in our lives. God is with us through the trials and tribulations, they are a part of life and something we all face. Yes it's hard. Yes sometimes you just want to throw in the towel. But stay strong. The difference between one person from another is how they endure. Giving up, or trusting God to see them through. Joseph's time as a slave and prisoner diligently and patiently serving his masters prepared him for becoming second in command of Egypt. What could your trial be preparing you for?

- Khara

1 comment: