Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Parenting Multiple Children

Photo from Lilytoad.us


When I was a kid dreaming about my future I didn't factor in having three kids. Two, yes. A boy first then a girl, which I got. Then there came the third kid and let's just say it changed the dynamic of parenting for me. Being a parent is a tough job regardless if you have one kid or more. For me three made it more demanding on my time (among other things) and finding the right balance in catering to each of my kids. Throw in the fact that my third kid is six and eight years younger than my other two it sometimes feel like I'm a parent of two groups of kids. Which I guess I am. What my preteen and teen are interested in is far different than my six year old. Just figuring out which movie to watch with the three of them can be challenge at times.


However, one big thing that I work hard to do, though I don't always get it right. Is spending individual time with my kids. I want them to know and feel that I care for them and I'm interested in getting to know them. I have to be conscious to stop and LISTEN when they're speaking to me, giving them the time to express themselves. This isn't always easy when all three of them are needing my attention at the same time. Another thing I try to implement with them is embracing each other's individuality and supporting one another. One kid would prefer not to sit in a two hour play for a sibling, another may not want to go to Chuck E Cheese because it's too "childish", and so forth. But they do it for the sake of the other. And it helps as a parent to not have to deal with the extra drama.

Things that I've learned more than anything and find essential as a parent of three(and just life in general):
1. Compromise
2. Time management
3. Carving in ALONE time
4. The power of NO!
5. I can't and won't please everyone and that's okay.
5. I'm going to screw up a time or two or three, but hopefully I have a chance to get it right the next day.


Don't forget to check out my latest romantic suspense novel Killing You Softly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment