Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Meddling Parents?

Photo from: http://www.sermamaencancun.com/


A couple days ago I saw a link to this post by Amy Carney on Facebook titled, "Stop doing these 8 things for your Teen this School Year," click here and I got convicted. Not on everything she mentioned, but some. I feel parents have a right to raise their children how they see fit, as long as it doesn't cause any physical and or emotional harm.


From reading Amy's article there is one thing in particular I want to stop doing for my middle schoolers - folding their laundry. Washing and drying it, they're good with. I mean really, that is the easy part. Getting them back into their drawers and closets, not so much. And I just like having things neat and tidy, which means seeing the pile of clothes unattended drives me nuts. But...I feel that in putting the clothes away for them can be manipulation on their part to get me to do it because they don't want to. And, they need to be more tidy and put their things away. So I'm going to back down on that and get them to do it themselves.

I do disagree with Amy about checking grades. I cannot, not check my kid's grades. I need to ensure that they are doing what they are suppose to do. I make sure homework is done and check it. Now I have stopped emailing teachers about homework, etc...well I've cut down on it a lot. Really I have. And going back to the school to drop off items left at home? Surprisingly, this has only happened three times that I can recall. One of which I didn't bother going back to the school.

Making breakfast and packing lunch - nope. I don't do it. They are very capable. Forgotten items needed for school project due next day - if it isn't at home, I'm not running out to get it. If they can remember a friend's party invite, they can remember needing a poster, etc for school. Waking them up? I do. Giving them an alarm clock will only drive me insane because they will ignore it. Having them fill out their own paperwork - yup, I'm going to start having them do this.

Amy Carney wrote a great article, it's definitely thought provoking.

Care to share your thoughts on Amy's article?

2 comments: