Monday, April 25, 2016

Cash In Your Blessings


Who remembers this? Excerpt from my first novel: Not My Will


“So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” Pastor Judah read from Isaiah 55:11.

Ty and I followed the scripture together, sharing his Bible. Erika, sitting next to me to my left, was following in her Bible, and Terrance, sitting right next to her on her left, followed in his Bible.

Wow, look at us, I thought momentarily as I looked to my left and right. We were all together in church. God, you are awesome!



“I was recently driving in my car one morning, taking the kids to school, and this scripture popped into my head. As I recited the scripture over and over, the word void stuck out to me,” Pastor Judah continued. All four of us sat attentively listening. “What did God really mean when he said his word will not return to him void?” I highlighted the scripture in my Bible as Pastor taught. “I thought of a more practical analogy for what I believe God meant. When we write a check to someone, we write a check knowing we have the money in the bank to cover it—well, I hope everyone in my congregation honorably writes a check,” he said. That got some laughs. “So, when we write a check, we write it knowing that we have money in the bank to cover the amount of the check. I don’t know about any of you, but I hate it when someone gives me a check that will bounce. You get your hopes us, trusting that when you go to deposit that check, the bank is going to honor it. Basically, you have faith in that person who wrote the check, that it’s not going to bounce or return void.”

Erika started jotting some things down while listening to Pastor Judah. I was so thankful that she was here in church. I reached over and held Ty’s hand; I was so happy that he and I were at church together as well.

“Well, church, today I want you to know that there is one check you certainly don’t have to worry about ever bouncing or returning void to you—that is the check God wrote for you before you were even born. Many of you are still carrying that check around and have yet to deposit it. God wrote you a check of happiness, joy, peace, prosperity, perfect health, a life of abundance, and yet, you refuse to go and cash that check. You have nothing to lose. God said his Word will not return to him void. Why are you wasting your opportunity to truly have all that God has for you?” Pastor Judah taught passionately. “God is waiting to honor that check. Nobody else can claim that check but you, and you won’t be able to receive all that that check has to offer unless you trust and have complete faith that when you do deposit it, it will not return void.”

On cue, the praise team quietly sang “I Give Myself Away” by William McDowell. “If you are someone that is still holding on to that check God wrote you, I urge you to come up to the altar and receive Christ as your Lord and personal Savior.” Pastor Judah gave the altar call.

I looked at Erika next to me. Her eyes were closed, and I could see tears slowly streaming down her face.

“Erika, do you want me to go with you?” I whispered in her ear, hoping that today would be the day that she would cast her pride aside and received Christ and all that he has for her. She remained quiet with her eyes closed. People were getting up and walking to the altar. This reminded me of the day I received Christ months ago. I closed my eyes and started to pray for Erika. I prayed that whatever was hindering her from receiving Christ is null and void and that she gets up and goes to the altar.

Erika opened her eyes and stood up. “God wrote me a check for abundant life, and I am about to cash it!” she said. I jumped up forgetting I was pregnant and hugged her.

“I’m going to the altar,” she declared after I released her from my embrace. Terrance stood and let her pass him. Ty stood too, and all three of us watched as Erika walked up to the altar to receive Christ. We were so joyful. We clapped and praised God for the new additions to his kingdom.


Haven't read Not My Will? Get a copy here

- Khara

No comments:

Post a Comment