Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I thought getting a publishing contract was hard - it's what comes after that is...



I am so excited and nervous about finally getting a publishing contract for my debut novel "Not My Will", I've been searching for an agent and or a publisher for almost two years now for this novel and I've had many days of just wanting to give up.  I felt it was a pipe dream - this chick from the islands actually publishing a novel? Really!?  I've had so many no's, it's not a right fit for us, etc, etc.  But I thank God that whenever self doubt tried to storm in my mind, He brought the right thing: words of encouragement, a song, a scripture from memory, a stranger, my husband, my kids, a friend, something to bring me back to the bigger picture and realize that I must not give up on the dream He has instilled inside of me.

So my contract is signed, and now I must venture on this journey of being a published author of a novel (I've already self published a children's book).  I'll be lying if I said I'm not scared, scared of what lies ahead - but with my faith in God, I am trusting that it is well.  I am now learning that I have to open up myself and get out of my comfort zone if I really want to aggressively promote my novel before and after it is released.  I am a private person, an introvert (which explains why I love to write) so I have a hard time opening up myself to people.  I don't like being the center of attention, I prefer to be behind the scenes and cheer on others.  But during a consultation with a publist yesterday, I was told I will have to put all of that on the backburner for a while and open up myself to my potential readers.  If I want to continue writing and publishing books, readers need/want to know Khara Campbell and not just my novels.  So here goes, another leap of faith for me.

#notmywill

2 comments:

  1. Hi Khara. I'm glad to welcome you to our ranks. I won't lie by saying that publishing on this scale isn't an intense demanding experience. But ask and ye shall receive, right? I understand what you mean about the fish out of water feeling. I'm by no means an introvert, but I am still getting used to people wanting my autograph and loving what I do. Please let me know if I can help ease your process. You've already been a help to me. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shewanda,

    Thank you for your response. And I will reach out to you for advice as I move along with my publishing journey, I'm gonna need it.

    ReplyDelete