Friday, February 15, 2013

Things I wished I knew before I had kids


I love my babies: J1, J2 and J3, as affectionately nicknamed by my father-in-law and I wouldn’t want any other kids but them. However, I do ponder some things I wished I was told before parenthood. For one, my life of “me-myself-and-I” will come crashing to an end! I’ve never met more selfish individuals than babies in my life. Yes they are adorable and you just want to eat them up, but they are also “I want what I want when I want it!” Then there is the toddler – the know it all. How can little 2 and 3 year olds think they own the world? They are seriously David defeating Goliath. And pre-teens, the beginning stage of “my parents don’t know anything”. I haven’t reached teenage years yet so I hope for the best.

But with all of the above, there is the immense JOY and PRIDE of parenthood. There is no greater feeling than seeing one, two, three or more of your heart reincarnated as your offspring. Then there’s that extreme FRIGHT of not wanting to mess up. You love your kids so much and you just want to do the best you can. You want to properly love, nurture, care, provide, discipline, protect, support and prepare your child for the world. It is an enormous task, but given a choice you probably won’t choose against it.

No comments:

Post a Comment